[rkward-users] ggplot2 in ubuntu?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Tue Nov 24 14:03:02 UTC 2009

On 2009 m. Lapkritis 24 d., antradienis 14:38:17 meik michalke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. November 2009 08:11:45 schrieb Donatas G.:
> > The rkward interface did not seem to work (it did not produce any output
> >  about  what it was doing in the details window for quite a while) or I
> > was just too impatient.
>
> hm, at what stage exactly did that happen? were you able to at least choose
>  a CRAN-mirror and select "ggplot2" from the recieved list?

Yes, I could select the cran mirror (for that a menu based on another non-qt)
toolkit was loaded),  I got a fresh list of packages, selected ggplot2,
clicked the install button, and then rkward asked me if I want to define a
local directory to install R packages, or do it as root (which is what I
chose). It then popped up a progress window with a button "show details" . But
that was it: nothing appeared in the progress details window for a few minutes
at the least, . While the R cli interface produced immediate output upon
execution of install.packages().

> you don't have to install R packages system wide, if only you want to use
>  them alone. you can define a user specific directory for that, say
> "/home/donatas/R":
>
>  install.packages("ggplot2", lib="/home/donatas/R", dependencies=TRUE)
>
> in order to work with packages in that directory, you must also tell rkward
>  of its existence (settings -> configure rkward -> R-packages -> library
>  paths, the lower window).
>
> i'd reccomend this, to prevent you from messing up the package management
>  of your distrubution.

Yes, i kind of knew this, but I did not want executables and other system files
installed locally.

Donatas