[rkward-users] rkward runnng problem

Gourab gourab at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:10:37 UTC 2009

Thanks both of you for the pointers.
First to answer meik - the version of R was 2.10.0 and it's installed in
usr/local/bin/R
The version of rkward is 0.5.2 and it's installed usr/bin/R -
So for installing R - I downloaded the latest version and first used
*./configure
--enable-R-shlib* to configure the package. And then used *make* to compile
and then finally *make install* to install it. I got the instructions for
this process from a R-ubuntu forum. The instructions also suggested that i
should do *make clean *before installing the new version - but I did not do
that.
For installing RKWARD I used the options for the sourceforge wiki page(
using cmake to install)
Right now the stage I am in is : I uninstalled the R and RKWARD using make
uninstall. So I believe it's all clean and empty and I can start installing
it the right way once I know the right way.
The reason I want to build it from source is
a. I need to learn how to do this and it is giving me good kicks to do it
b. I have been suggested to build R from source to ensure that its
performance is optimized for my system
I have not deleted the package files manually - I uninstalled using
synaptic. I did delete a folder called R manually - it was sitting on my
home folder - and while installing Rkward I needed to create a similar name
directory (R_LIBS_USER for cmake option) for the new version -so I deleted
the one with the old version. Is that something i should not have done?

If you think it's a classic case of a monkey with a gun , I will not try
installing it from the source and just use the precompiled package. But
thanks for all the help so far.

* *

--
Gourab De