Suggestion to Remove KFloppy and hold back K3b

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Feb 15 23:34:38 UTC 2017

Wolfgang Bauer ha scritto:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2017, 22:21:19 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
>> Please do not consider starting a GUI application as root a possibility.
>
> Ok, but partitionmanager does exactly that. It restarts itself as root if run
> as user.
> So that instantly would rule out partionmanager as a proposed replacement, I
> suppose.

Partitionmanager tried to use KAuth; the change was reverted for now due to
some complication in the implementation (it would be probably the most
complicated use case for KAuth so far), so it needs some investigation, but
that's the way to go.

> But KFloppy is quite a simple application.
> There should not really be a special risk involved running it as root, but I
> might be mistaken there.

Really, please, let's try to find another solution than running as root.

--
Luigi