[rekonq] new "new tab page" should be ready for merging soon.

Pierre Rossi pierre.rossi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 01:29:47 CET 2011

Hi guys,

Little overdue, but I think we're getting there.
I still haven't put the closedTabs javascript bit, and there are still small
quirks, but the "new tab page" refactoring proposal can be checked out here:

http://gitorious.org/~elproxy/rekonq/elproxys-rekonq/commits/hybrid

I also need to rebase this on top of current master, hopefully something
that I could have done by tomorrow.

Since I suspect the diff  will be huge, I think everyone here who's
considering reviewing it could start looking at the changes Benjamin and I
made in this branch.

Here's a quick overview of these changes (lots of things are hopefully
boring and repetitive so once you know the concepts, it should make the
review a bit less painful):

- about: protocol (well it has to be something else than about for it to
work, so for now it's rekonq:) requests are intercepted by the network
access manager and replies are fed to webkit thanks to a custom reply.
- we use the QtWebKit bridge to expose the relevant application data to the
script engine
- home.html is going to go away, replaced by a plain index.html skeleton
that relies on a few JavaScript and CSS files. In the future, a theme would
simply have to ship new js and css files along with images and that should
be good enough.
- Thanks to Benjamin's mockup objects, a web designer could easily work on
the look and feel of this page, even in another browser if they so wish (bad
designer !).

I think that's it for now, stay tuned.

Cheers,
--