No subject

Mon Sep 13 01:31:26 CEST 2010

1) speed when on an accelerated compositing path (CSS animations or 3D tran=
sform).
2) 3D transforms. You might have seen this demo: http://www.satine.org/rese=
arch/webkit/snowleopard/snowstack.html (only working with Safari Mac and Qt=
WebKit with a GL viewport). Currently this kind of websites only work with =
graphics view and openGL. No'am is working on a pure software implementatio=
n of accelerated compositing so that works with QWebView, but that cannot m=
atch the speed of openGL (and that will be for QtWebKit 2.2 or later).
3) better future support of WebGL (currently broken in QtWebKit trunk, but =
hopefully available one day).

The disadvantages is that we no longer have native widgets. So we can have =
problems with stuff like contextual menu and modal dialog which we should b=
e careful with.

This can also be used to implement more easily stuff like a preview of all =
tab opened in the current window (like topsite of safari but with live webs=
ites).

I am personally not a fan of GraphicsView, because it makes the rendering p=
ipeline incredibly complex. But that is unfortunately the best way to get h=
ardware acceleration with openGL for web content, and unfortunately the onl=
y way to get 3D transforms for the next ~6 months.

Benjamin=