[rekonq] Re : rekonq HomePage

MatthieuG matgic78 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:10:44 CEST 2009

> Originally, Chrome's new tab page was only javascript/html but then there
> were issues with its performance (the page used to take ages to load) so
>  now they have split the page into an html page and a "native backend". So
>  I dont suppose we need to repeat the same mistake again by implementing a
>  slower javascript/html when we can go for a faster, mixed (html/native)
>  solution. And IMO it wont be any "ugly", if its implemented using QtWebKit
>  provided facilities.

If Webkit takes ages to draw a simple page that is not loaded from the
internet, why are chrome and rekonq so fast ?
In Rekonq's HomePage branch, thumbs are generated in native code and shown in
html. It can't be slower than loading,  for instance, www.kde.org .
It don't know what they did in Chrome but I think the perfomance issue is in
the HomePageEmbedded branch in what webkit has to load and draw one webpage
for each thumbnail.

About the Plasma idea, the mockup is beautiful but looking at plasma code, I
think it isn't compatible with Rekonq's lightweightness.
Plasma-Netbook has 4 classes in shell + 3 containments (2 classes each) + svg
files + some specific widgets.
Current HomePage implementation will always need only one class (+websnap)