[rekonq] Re : rekonq HomePage

Jon de Andrés jondeandres at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:46:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Shaneeb Kamran <shaneebster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Lionel Chauvin <megabigbug at yahoo.fr>wrote:
>
>  > I don't  know too much about Qt, only some patches in KDE...but i read
>> sometime that
>>
>> > with webkit was possible to embedd qt widgets in the html, no?
>>
>> For instance, buttons in webpages are qt widgets. I don't know if qtWebKit
>> allow to insert other widgets. Imo: mix technologies is not a good Idea.
>>

> QtWebKit does allow you to embed native (Qt) widgets into the page. This is
> done by using the <object> tag in the html page, along with the use of
> QWebPluginFactory in code.
>

>> > The Home page in chromium is html with javascript? or do they use gtk
>> widgets for
>>
>> > the preview decorations?
>>

>> Google uses Ajax for their services. I think they do the same thing for
>> the home page. (I don't test chrome)
>>

> I am not 100% sure about this but Google Chrome uses a mixture of HTML and
> 'native' code to display the new tab page.
>

>> > This is only an idea i've just had, perhaps this has no sense...
>>

>> Thank you to propose ideas :)
>>

>> Imo, we have the choice of html/javascript or qt/plasma, not a mix. Andrea
>> choose html/javascript, I will help him in this way.
>>

> Originally, Chrome's new tab page was only javascript/html but then there
> were issues with its performance (the page used to take ages to load) so now
> they have split the page into an html page and a "native backend". So I dont
> suppose we need to repeat the same mistake again by implementing a slower
> javascript/html when we can go for a faster, mixed (html/native) solution.
> And IMO it wont be any "ugly", if its implemented using QtWebKit provided
> facilities.
>
> Someone might (rightfully) argue that if its all about speed then why not
> implement it completely in native code. Well, the answer lies in the ease
> with which html can be modified to change the layout, colors etc without
> messing with the code, while the parts needing performance can be delegated
> to native code.

Although it's used only Qt for the homepage, i thought that CSS can be used
to customize the widgets, what it's then "to have the best of two worlds". I
really think that using Qt is better than html&javascript, it's possible to
give the widgets nice animations and all those things.

Bye!!

> P.S: I am not just a "opinionated spectator". I will work on implementing
> it this way if other developers agree. And sorry Lionel for the private
> message. These GUIs make you do stupid things ;-)
> --
>
> Regards,
> Shaneeb Kamran

Jon de Andrés