[rekonq] Re : rekonq HomePage

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:42:46 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 10:14:22 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> Arf, everybody is destroying Andrea's work.
>
> I think it is time to make mockups. We don't know what we want.

eh eh.. I'm not that sure!
I started this thread just to speak about the "homepage work" and I'm glad to
hear different voices about.

I'm quite sure the HomePage branch (with the last commits that will arrive
ASAP) is "near" what we want. And it's also a bit customizable.

If we can let it work better that now, changing the technologies behind, we
just gain speed and likeness :)

The actual preview tools does this:
a QWebPage loads the site. When the load is finished the content is resized
200x150 px and then snapped into a QImage saved in a locale cached path.

So, looking at these 4 days hacking there experience, we have this trade-off.

1)
If we wanna preview our preferred sites, the actual mechanism is better,
because it retrieves images just the first time and (from the second) loads the
NewTabPage in a while.
I'm implementing a mechanism to just refresh thumbs when user changes sites.

2)
if we wanna preview last visited sites, embedding a QwebView is the best way
to do, because we need every time to reload the "image" and you jump the
"snapping step" without further ado in reloading and refreshing (it does
itself).

As we are proposing our preferred sites previews (as discussed in this thread
some days ago) my +1 now goes for WebSnap mechanism. But I'm surely interested
in verifying speed and consistent of the "alternatives".

Regards,

PS: obviously, saying html/js, I mean html/css/js. I'm using an intern style
in the home.html file. And we are actually NOT using js functions (they are
just in the history/bookmarks newtabpage in master). So just html/css.