[rekonq] One process per tab: TODO list for 0.3

Lionel Chauvin megabigbug at yahoo.fr
Tue Aug 11 18:08:57 CEST 2009

Le mardi 11 août 2009 17:41:00, Ivan Čukić a écrit :
> On Tuesday 11 August 2009 11:24:46 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> > - one url bar for all tabs
>
> This will mean more complicated d-bus interface and transferring pixmaps
> through it (the site icon is one example).
>
> ^^ This is a better solution, I'm just saying what is the problem with it.
> I have the code for transferring complex data through d-bus already
> written.
We both agree.
> > - modify mainview of rekonq for xembed rekonq_tab in a new tab (but keep
> >  also the current implementation of tabs)
>
> The best way (IMO) would be to make an abstract TabContents class which
> would be a common interface to NormalTabContents and XEmbedTabContents
> (these names only serve the purpose of better explanation) :)
Yes, your implementation is cleaner, but this is the same idea ^^
> > - automatically reload a crashed tab
> > - if  3+ crashs display an error page in this tab for reload manually
>
> I'm not sure this is a good idea. The usual sites that crash a browser are
> heavy to reload, and usually have plugins or whatever. Reloading them
> automatically would increase the traffic and CPU usage even when it is not
> needed.
IE works like that. We must not bother the user for occasionnal crash (just notify him that something bad occured on this tab). It doesn't increase traffic and CPU more than if the user reload manually. But it MUST NOT loop, this is why it must not be reloaded more than 2 or 3 times.
> On Tuesday 11 August 2009 15:56:35 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> > > - remove global menu
> >
> > I'd like hear different voices here. I'm ok with this, but I'm not sure
> >  there is general consensus.
>
> I guess this thing will be the-most-complained-about (tm) by the users.
> But, I'm /pro/ and we'll see the reactions :)
That was the same thing with dolphin and today everybody use it because it is easier. I am sure the konqueror's concept of heterogeneous window will be replaced by tabs in Kwin. It is more generic and safer way than kpart.
I am sure we make the good choice.