security manager update

Tom Zander tom at flowee.org
Tue Aug 17 21:23:50 BST 2021

I finally got some time to continue work on the project I
announced some months ago called 'security manager'.

The project is currently hosted on gitlab.com, and I did my best
documenting it here;
https://gitlab.com/tomzander/securitymanager/-/wikis/home

I did lots of bugfixes and various basic features that make it
mostly useful already (both on desktop and on phone).

The core concept I think is valid and I will continue to work on
it and add features.

What I'd love to have some discussion about is how we can make
this work with more systems. For instance setting a plasma theme
is a setting that is stored in the homedir, which is assumed to
be read by each app. And that won't work if we isolate the
homedirs :-)

Lots of such open questions that relate to the bigger development
of plasmamobile are asked on
https://gitlab.com/tomzander/securitymanager/-/wikis/integration

I would love to see what people think and maybe I can make some
of you enthusiastic about building a system that ensures privacy,
security and others which Linux phones are severely lacking right
now.
Without this there is no way we'll ever see commercial players
porting their apps to Linux on mobile.