[GSoC Draft proposal] Redesign system settings modules by porting them to QtQuick

Smit Patil smit17av at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 08:53:22 BST 2022

Hi Valorie, Thanks for your valuable input :)

I don't have much experience in writing proposals. My
presentation/communication skills are somewhat weak

Biggest part of KWinGamma KCM was understanding KWin Code, adding code to
set
gamma and exposing it from DBus in KWin and testing it.
Writing actual KCM was pretty easy. Testing took more time than developing
it.
It's in full working condition

In case of these existing KCMs, DBus interfaces and logic already exists
and I just have to
rewrite them in Qml/Kirigami. I don't have to disconnect-reconnect any
hardware like in KWinGamma for testing.
So on the surface these tasks look pretty easy. That's why my initial list
was so ambitious.
I lack the experience of writing and maintaining these KCMs(only made one
which is not even upstreamed yet),
writing documentation, meeting with other developers and discussing ...etc.
My goal is to get that experience from this event.
So right now I can only approximately guess the timeframe required for
these activities.

Please see:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g11icAawvBwp2J4wczi57nA7Dno7ew-E/view?usp=sharing
I have not uploaded this version on GSoC yet cause I still think my
proposal lacks something and would appretiate feedback.
I know it contains repetitive timeline but such is nature of my task