D24223: [RFC] Add global themes that mimic other platforms' workflows

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 15 17:02:09 GMT 2021

ngraham abandoned this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  I no longer think this is a good idea. :( User feedback suggests that our default UX is too similar to another platform (Windows) already, which puts it in an "uncanny valley" where it is like 80% the same as that platform, but divergent enough to cause frustration and anger.

  I think what is happening is that people's brains are being primed to enter "nitpicky conservative mode" and focus on the differences from what's expected, rather than "open-minded exploration mode" where it's possible to feel playful and curious and enjoy the distinctiveness of our system. Because very Windows-familiar new users never enter that mode, the first time they encounter a major divergence from Windows--for example, System Settings, or how applets or wallpaper is configured, or how many clicks it takes to open files, or whether Dolphin opens archives itself--they feel angered and disgusted, rather than intrigued and curious.

  Accordingly, I think formalizing this by offering global themes out of the box that provide similarly imperfect mimicry of other platforms would make this problem worse, not better.

  Closing.

REPOSITORY
  R114 Plasma Addons