monday meeting notes for 8/11/2021

Tom Zander tom at flowee.org
Mon Nov 8 13:15:12 GMT 2021

On maandag 8 november 2021 12:52:56 CET Marco Martin wrote:
> Arjen
> * I continued with trying to figure out why drag and drop with
> touch between windows crashes

Not sure if this helps, but there is a mental model in drag and
drop that is rather counter intuitive.
At least, the coding model is the opposite of the user-experience
model. Which is easy to trow people off.

So, the user sees a drag and then on 'drop' the action is taken.
A copy or move, typically.

On the coding level this is different, the copy is done _during_
the drag. Typically on the very first event. All the work is
prepared to do the move or copy at the first event when a
component or app is entered.

The only thing that happens on 'drop' is a commit-style event.
Where already present data is now settled. Where preview widgets
are deleted. And naturally where items that were being moved are
deleted at the source.

> * and I actually found a rather significant problem with drag
and drop using mouse - apparently the drag doesn't end for the
source window until focus is returned to the window

If you reverse your thinking where the actual work happens during
the drag and the 'drop' (or ending of the drag) is nothing but a
visual confirmation, then this doesn't look so much like a bug
anymore. Though it does sound weird if its inconsistent between
mouse and touch based dragNdrops.