Switch and Checkbox items

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 16:16:32 UTC 2012

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 14:00:51 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> I really don't think one replaces the other. I have switches and checkboxes,
> on my Android phone and I clearly sees that depending on the context it
> fits better.

yes, on touch (such as Android type use cases) we'll be keeping both. the
question is about desktop.

> For example, in print manager I used a switch on each printer,
> since it's a device and I find more natural to turn it on/off.

do you have any user testing or external research that supports this?

i wonder how well people can accurately determine if something is a hardware
device or not (networking is probably a minefield) and if there is benefit to
introducing additional metaphores on the already complex desktop.

personally, i really don't want to see Switches start appearing in random
places on the desktop UI (consistency) and there are so many use cases to
cover to know if they can be properly integrated or not. the *last* thing we
need is something like "use Switches for hardware devices .. except if <some
UI limitation>" leading to a mix of switches and checkboxes for the same kind
of functionality.

> I don't think droping one in favour the other is the way to go. Good
> and easy to read guidelines are.

can you address the Cons i raised about this approach, namely:

* Much more work for developers (one UI for touch, one for desktop, all
because of Switch vs Checkbox)

*  if we change our mind in the future, all that work needs to be re-done

* relies on people caring about and implementing HIG-compliant UIs (this is
the big problem IMHO)