n+1st report about arrow keys in krunner

Miha Čančula miha.cancula at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 00:02:25 CET 2010

I have been annoyed many times by this, although I never reported a bug. I
also found it confusing to have autocompletion, but I still have to type it
through.

I suggest that the history should be added as just another runner. It would
show the last N used things when started, and then display a filtered list
when you write something. I don't know the architecture though, is it
possible to remember the last actions instead of what you typed?

2010/2/27 Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde at gmail.com>

> Dear plasmoids
>  I just closed as WONTFIX the (n+1)st report about people trying to use
> downarrow key to select entries other than the first one in krunner default
> interface. In view of our committment to polish for 4.5 I guess it's time to
> do something about this issue, which seems to hit quite a number of users.
>
> The problem:
> Krunner sports a command history feature similar to the konsole history,
> available by the uparrow and downarrow keys.
> The default interface shows results as a vertical list; this list can be
> browsed with the arrow keys once it has been focused (by pressing the TAB
> key). This focusing step is the one most users miss.
> The confusion is probably made stronger by the fact that both the lineedit
> and the first entry are (virtually) focused at the same time, so one can
> reasonably expect the arrow keys to act on the result list instead that on
> the lineedit
>
> Finding a consistent solution is not that simple, therefore I'd like to
> collect some proposals here, in order to have some time for testing during
> the .5 development cycle.
>
> I report here a proposal by kdepepo (from the latest bugreport) along with
> my comment about it:
>
> If (and only if) pressing Down without any further entry in the history,
> then
> it could move the focus to the first entry in the list.
>
> The first entry is already focused, we should probably rather move to the
> second one;
> Once the second one has been focused,  what happens if i hit Up? should I
> return focus to the lineedit?
> This would basically bind focus on the first item with focus of the
> lineedit. Would this actually work?
>
> Awaiting for your comments and further proposals!
> Thanks a lot
>
>  __J

Lenoba je mati Modrosti.