default plasma theme and fallback

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 26 02:43:59 CEST 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> b)mantain oxygen as "default" and just load air instead of oxygen at kde
> startup

and how will that work for krunner? kwin? put this in every application that
should be using the global setting? that doesn't seem like a good idea.

it also means we have to keep Oxygen up to date with all items we create
(otherwise there will be no fallback).

> c)have a fallbackTo=foo entry in themes desktop files making possible for
> themes to fallback to a desired theme (maybe kinda overkill and what
> happens when a 3rd party theme falls back to another 3rd party theme? or
> what happens when a theme falls back to an incomplete theme?)

this probably makes sense, but could be combined with:

d) in Plasma::Theme, make the fallback separate from the default theme. this
way Oxygen could be the fallback, Air the default. we could also cover our
bases and have it a cascading list of fallbacks, with Oxygen as the first
fallback and Air the last so if an element appears in Air (our default) that
doesn't appear in Oxygen, then we're still good. this will also preserve
things for widgets that put their widgets in default/ (aka "Air")

see attached patch.

> soo, if we just make the default as air every time the default theme will
> change the same pain will repeat, if we keep oxygen  as the fallback theme
> we are condemned to keep it complete for ever (that sounds sensible
> anyways) but will be less painful for old themes even if someday another
> new default theme will be provided...

personally i think that themes that rely on a certain subset of elements in
the fallback theme remaining consistent are operating on a delusion.

in future, they can use FallbackTheme= if that's what they assume. and we need
a techbase article on this :)

humru othro a kohnu se