default plasma theme and fallback

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 21:59:29 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 14:21, Marco Martin<notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> there are few possible solutions:
> a) not caring, be a bad boys and just require the themes to be complete (ok,
> not a solution this one :p)
> b)mantain oxygen as "default" and just load air instead of oxygen at kde
> startup
> c)have a fallbackTo=foo entry in themes desktop files making possible for
> themes to fallback to a desired theme (maybe kinda overkill and what happens
> when a 3rd party theme falls back to another 3rd party theme? or what happens
> when a theme falls back to an incomplete theme?)

Hello everyone,

how about a fourth solution?

a') Make "air" the default theme and also let new, incomplete themes
fallback on it. But also offer a little script, that allows
maintainers of current themes to draw in all missing parts from
"oxygen", thereby help them make their themes complete. Basically a
static, standalone version of the dynamic, internal fallback
mechanism.

I guess this fourth solution is more work than the other three, but
depending on what's in store for theme designers once plasmate rolls
around, it might be work, that will be done anyway. And as practical
as solution b indeed is, it also appears like a hack to me.

michael