KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/battery

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sat Jun 6 18:04:02 CEST 2009

Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 17:07:42 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> here's my one and only email in this thread ...
>
> On Saturday 06 June 2009, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 03:02:37 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > > I've disabled this feature for now since it doesn't work well enough
> > > in a lot of cases. For those that really can't live without that
> > > information, you can still enable it in the config, add a line such
> > > as:
> >
> > Btw. please disable desktop composition completely, and make it opt-in
> > for geeks using a config-file. "It doesn't work well enough in a lot of
> > cases."
>
> Dave, i respect your work in KDE. the stuff you've done in, for instance,
> KDevelop is amazing and i really appreciate it.
>
> i also respect that your intentions are all in the right place here: you
> want KDE to rock in every aspect.
>
> you have a very definite idea of what that means, and for Plasma it seems
> to be defined by what KDE 3 did. understandable. or maybe you have some
> other base for your perspective. regardless, it differs from the design
> goals i have, and which are shared with most others working on Plasma day
> in and day out.
It just means that it should give me the information I like, the flexibility I
want, some fair amount of beauty, and doesn't stand in my way. Certainly not
too much.

> now, you've shown that you have a few pet peeves and seem unwilling to work
> on them in a way that actually fits with our agenda.
I have always been willing to work on them. But you've refused to solve them
to the level that I wish at all, thus I've given that thing up. It's better
for my nerves.

> i refuse to let plasma become an unhappy place of arguments. we will have
> them from time to time, because all groups of friends and families do, but
> they can not become the primary mode of communication. we all spend too
> much of our time and invest too much of our heart into this project for
> that to become the case.
Discussing is a good thing, if it is used properly. For you it seems just to
be a way to get express your opinion or get into bad mood, but in the KDevelop
project, we use discussions to do actual decision finding. And that's the way
it should be in a vital open source project IMO.

> so, Dave, i'm going to ask you and ask you only once: please join the team
> or don't work on plasma. we don't have to agree on everything, but we have
> to work together on everything. we don't have to always be nice and civil,
> but we have to be nice and civil most of the time. if you can't manage
> that, kdevelop certainly needs your time and effort.
In this discussion, I mainly participated as a user. And as user, I'm very
unpleased by this decision.

As a developer, I'm very unpleased by the fact that the whole discussion had
no effect on the final action taken.

I will not work on a project in my free time that is "ruled" like that.

Greetings, David