Plasma and KWin Integration

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Thu Feb 12 16:09:33 CET 2009

> There's some experimental code right now, but we
> need to find a good metaphor to translate it into something that makes sense
> to the user.

My mind immediately translated that to "Have solution, seek problem".

I never got the hang of that activity thing. Still have no idea how someday it
is supposed to make me more productive.

But i have some ideas what i would like to have. And because i don't care how
it is named in the end i just put my wishes into this thread.

The following has nothing to do with activities in my opinion. I would like to
be able to configure my virtual desktop/widgets

    a. Same widgets on all virtual desktops
    b. Different widgets on all virtual desktops
    c. Associating a set of widget with virtual desktops, like widget set a on
       virtual desktop 1,3,5, widget set b on virtual desktip 2,4,6) would be
       nice to have.

Activity in the sense i understand it has nothing to do with widgets/virtual
desktops. An activity is primarily nothing but some kind of global setting i
am able to configure. Like creating an activity "Work", "Private" or "KDE
Development".

Applications then could allow different configurations associated with the
activity.

For example the global shortcuts code would allow to have different
sets of global
shortcuts depending of the set activity, plasma could allow setting a
different theme / wallpaper etc. Amarok could switch playlists if i configure
that. khotkeys could adapt, kmail shows different mail boxes etc. . kwin has a
different configuration (less virtual desktops on the private activity but
more visual bling). Konqueror switches bookmarks. nepomuk shows/hides
different results depending on the activity.

I want that kmail thing to not get distracted when working with private email,
i want to associate messenger contacts with activities like offline for user
xyz when in activity private because i want to not get bothered by my
colleagues when in private mode.

All of this is opt in. When i create a activity nothing changes. I have
to go and reconfigure something and click the button "Apply to current
activity" or "Associate configuration with activity". Each application has to
decide and implements it's own support of activities.

I have no idea if that is workable/doable. But that's what i would like to
have as activities.

Mike