Plasma and KWin Integration

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Feb 12 10:34:30 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 17:59:42 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > 7. Theming of kwin dialogs to match the rest of the desktop furniture.
> >
> > Things like the window menu are part of the desktop rather than part of
> > applications and it would be great if they were coloured like the other
> > pieces of furniture rather than like the applications they manage. The
> > same thing applies to a number of other things drawn by kwin such as in
> > the box switch effect.
>
>  Just as Lucas, I don't see what you mean with window menu here, but for
> the rest I don't see a problem with adding that, assuming
> - it's technically feasible - I don't know technical details, but IIRC it
> uses threads, the idea of which in KWin makes me a bit uneasy
> - there's a way to get the old style back - a Plasma theme, let's call
> it "Classic", that would just make things look like they use normal widgets
> and not Plasma's special theming should do

We talked about that as well. For more conservative setups, we can use the Aya
theme, which should be improved. The general idea of re-using the theme's
colors is feasible I think, though probably not for the default Oxygen (Air)
theme. The Aya theme does need some touch-ups though. Incidentally I discussed
this with Adriaan last night, who also wants it improved in some ways for
systems that has less graphical capabilities.

For elements like the tabbox, I'd like to see it blending in with the Plasma
theme, so it would look somewhat like an applet. Same goes for the filter box
in present windows, and the display of window name in cover switch. Am I
missing an element here?

The window menu should IMO use normal widget theme (like the windeco does).

> > 9. Hide the panel when zooming out to show the containments.
> >
> > As discussed already by Sebas, and patch provided.
>
>  Containments? I assume you mean the recent issue with panels and the
> DesktopGrid effect here?

Those should not be two different concepts to the user, i.e. the ZUI and
virtual desktop. A way to bind a containment (activity) to one or more
multiple desktops is needed. There's some experimental code right now, but we
need to find a good metaphor to translate it into something that makes sense
to the user.
--
sebas