Extender theming issues.

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 9 22:53:57 CEST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 18:51:15 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > As you might have noticed, I've added support for theming the background
> > of extenderitems through a standard panelSvg svg in the desktoptheme.
> > While this is certainly an improvement over not having a background at
> > all, it's still not as neat as I would like it to be. Notice this mockup
> > that pinheiro made:
> >
> > http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3504/extenderstj5.png
>
> i think if the background of externderitems is on the one of dialog can't
> be on, no matter how we can manage to align the two backgrounds, so if we
> want to have a look as in this mockup i would say:
> when the formfactor of the source applet is a panel extender items paints
> his own background (and dialog doesn't paint anything)
> when the extender is in the desktop don't bother to have the exact same
> aspect of the popup, so extender will have no background and only the
> applet will.

Well, I'm of the opinion  that they should look the same if on the desktop (so
not like they look in this mock on the desktop). Giving extender items a
background groups dragger and widget together and is easier on the eye.
But besides that, just hiding the dialog's background has it's own problems:
the extenderitem background has rounded corners, so to make them appear like
in this mock, you'll need extra svg elements to differentiate between the
topmost extenderitem and the extenderitems below, which would make theming
more complex then it already is.