kickoff fusion idea and mockup

J.R. Mauro jrm8005 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 19:28:11 CEST 2008

2008/7/11 Loïc Marteau <loic.marteau at gmail.com>:

> Hey :) !
>
> 2008/7/11 J.R. Mauro <jrm8005 at gmail.com>:
>

>> Why are we clicking? (smart) Search is the best way to solve this, along
>> with presenting what you use often in the default view.
>> If you know the app name, type it, if you know the category, type it. If a
>> new user wants to discover something they only need a rough idea, and
>> can type "images" or "games," and then they get a list. With one click
>> they can get what they want. With a 2 clicks they can add it to favorites
>> (although I think that could be made better by adding a little star to the
>> entries like in the add plasma widget menu) Hey, KDE maintainers, there's
>> a good feature, no? I hope you think so! :-)
>>

> Yes search and favorites use is exactly that i do, but the problem with
> this argument is than in fact you said it is usable if you dont use it...
>
> For example I'm thinking of new user that want to discover is new interface
> and computer apps without having any idea of what he will do... he just want
> to discover and enjoy the new hot kde stuff : he can't do it easily, not
> really good for a first impression.
>
> I'm totally agree than there is a lot of other way to starts apps and than
> whatever you do with apps menu it is not the better way.
>
> But this apps menu is the worst  than i ever seen, sorry.

Instead of spouting "It sucks," why don't you suggest a better approach? The
menu in KDE 3 is very similar... it's categorized. Yes, that adds another
click to what the user needs to do, but it stops them from being
overwhelmed. Plus, in KDE 3 how would a new user find an application? Surely
they don't know what Konqueror is. With kickoff, they can go to Internet,
then can get a description of what most apps do by hovering over them. This
is far improved from KDE 3. Again, adding a little star to ease the moving
of apps to favorites would be an improvement, but you didn't suggest any
improvements, just kept saying that it's bad. Please be more constructive.

I think it might be good to try to educate new users in how to work easily
to discover applications, perhaps by giving them a little tour during the
first login if they want, that really emphasizes the power of the search
bar. Education is really what we need to focus on, not trying to tinker with
something that actually works quite well. By your own admission, search and
favorites make Kickoff work very efficiently, and I'm sure it will only
improve. The "applications" tab is simply there so that there is a way to
list all apps if that becomes absolutely necessary.