[Owncloud] special characters in filenames

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Thu Aug 2 19:58:10 UTC 2012

The discussion seems to have veered off the original question.

How it should be handled (regardless of any technical implementation
difficulties):
»Don’t sync at all« is not an option. Neither is not letting people
upload files with special characters or warn them about it.
Can the ownCloud server have a database in the backend, mapping
converted filenames to actual filenames? So that supported systems are
synced the whole filename, and unsupported ones are given the
appropriate converted one? Does that make sense? Or does it not work
because WebDAV, FTP etc does not go through the database?

The thing with WebDAV, FTP and all that stuff is – we should
discourage people from using WebDAV or FTP or anything manually. Just
use the web interface or the clients.