[Owncloud] Implement SyncML

Antonio José Gallo Sánchez antoniojgallo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:12:21 UTC 2011

Since everyone think that it's not a good idea to have the java requirement
for the syncML functionality (For syncing contacts and so), I've been
looking for alternatives to the funambol server. I think it's a good idea to
use and integrate one of those with owncloud instead of writing a new one
from the beginning.

I've found these 3, I'm sure you've heard from them before:

http://www.horde.org

This one is a complete open source groupware suite, but the syncML module is
written separately, as they say "Horde's SyncML server functionality is
implemented in a horde PEAR package named SyncML. This package is designed
to be independent from Horde" <http://wiki.horde.org/SyncML/>. I think it
looks very good. Also, the idea of integrating the whole groupware suite is
attractive to me.
 http://www.egroupware.org/community_edition

This is also other groupware suite. They have a "commercial version" and a
"open source edition". I don't like that, and also it doesn't seem to have
the syncml function written separately, but it's an option, anyway.

http://code.google.com/p/mooha/

It's a simple SyncML server for lamp servers. It's far more simpler than the
others, but it looks like that it has not been updated for almost a year.

What do you think about that? Do you think it's wise to use one of those
also? Which one do you think is the best?

Best regards!!

--
Antonio J. Gallo