[Owncloud] Re: [GSoC 2011] syncing client

Robin Appelman icewind1991 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:21:28 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 09:36:47 Martín Marcucci wrote:
> 2011/1/24 Miha Čančula <miha.cancula at gmail.com>
>
> > I saw your idea at the wiki page, and I would be very interested to
> > write a client for ownCloud. I have followed its development closely
> > and I am already using it at home, but unfortunately I do not have any
> > experience with PHP. I do however have some xperience with C++, python
> > and KDE/Qt, which would be good languages for a desktop client.
>
> Hi list, I'm interested in having dropbox style syncing. I want to
> collaborate, I have experience with PHP and  C++ very little with QT
> and python.
> I think the way to go is make the client use inotify to monitor file
> system changes and make a quick upload.
If Qt is going to be used for the client, using QFileSystemWatcher is probably
the best, it's portable across operating systems and uses features that the OS
offers like inotify.
But more difficult would be watching for changes on the remote server, there are
a couple of ways to do that but all seem to have their downsides
> The client might be a command
> line utility or a daemon written in C or C++ to be tiny and eat little
> resources. It might be able to be controlled by a GUI here can be QT
> or GTK or FLTK and written in java, c, c++ python,etc...
> If the core code of the daemon is based in non portable libraries, it
> will be very difficult to port the client to other platforms.
Splitting the core and gui is a good idea imo.

> I want to collaborate in one of the clients. Can the ones that are
> programming a client upload the code somewhere so the rest of us can
> take a look of it.
> May be then they can make an entry in the wiki like Clients, a tiny
> description and what is missing and the links to the repository, so
> other developers can take  a look and collaborate.
afaik there are 2 unfinised projects:
http://gitorious.org/cloudsync a more general syncing client that uses kio and
kdirwatch but kdirwatch doesn't work good with kio slaves.

http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client which is exactly as the name says it
is but not yet in a working state from what I've heared

> Regards
> --
> R. Martin Marcucci    ( MarkU )

-- Robin Appelman