Hi, I'm the App Stores Support Engineer guy

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Sep 7 23:38:22 BST 2022

El dimecres, 7 de setembre de 2022, a les 11:12:46 (CEST), Ingo Klöcker va
escriure:
> Hi Okular people,

Hello :)

> as you may have read on the community mailing list [1], I'm taking on the
> role of App Stores Support Engineer for KDE.
>
> Aleix Pol wrote:
> "Ingo will be working with the different teams in KDE towards our
> infrastructure getting prepared to have their software delivered to
> the platforms they are targetting. With this, we hope to improve the
> reach of our products to end users and hopefully enable them also to
> make a living with their KDE products."
>
> You do already publish Okular in the Windows Store and it has got a few nice
> reviews. That's great!
>
> Here are a few questions I'm interested in:
>
> a) Where can I find more information about your building and publishing
> process? Who should I talk to in your team?

For Windows

It's build by binary-factory via Craft. The publishing process is the same as
the rest of KDE Windows Store app, done via the webui. After putting it there
you also but the corresponding exe in
  https://download.kde.org/stable/release-service/x.y.x/windows/
i.e.
  https://download.kde.org/stable/release-service/22.08.0/windows/
for posterity.

Nico Fella and me have been the ones doing the updates lately.

For Android i don't really remember what i did last time, but as far as i
remember same-ish, get the build from the binary factory, upload it to the
android web ui.

Of course some testing applies before uploading ;)

> b) Are there things you wish the KDE infrastructure would better support
> with regard to building for different platforms and publishing in different
> app stores?
>
> c) Are there things in the KDE Frameworks that should be improved to ease
> building for different platforms, e.g. do you patch some KDE Frameworks when
> you create builds for Windows or macOS?

There's no patches in Craft for KF5 as far as i know.

One of the Craft blueprints shortcomings is that it does not use the KDE Qt5
Patch collection

> d) Do you want to target more platforms and/or app stores? If yes, which and
> in which order?

Getting this fixed wouldn't hurt i guess
https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Okular_Nightly_macos/

My guess is that Windows should be one of the main focuses, there must be a
sizeable chunk of users out there because when we break something (we broke
saving in 22.08.0) we get bug reports in bugs.kde.org which is somewhat alien
for a regular windows user i'd say :D

> e) Are there tasks/issues on some task board or issue tracker that I should
> look at?

I don't think there's any particular task other than the bugs in
https://bugs.kde.org/

Main thing i can think of being broken on Windows that would be nice to fix is
that tabs don't work because one needs dbus for that which we don't ship/have
on Windows. I think kate fixed it by using some other framework instead of
dbus.

> f) Is this mailing list the right place to talk about this?

Sure :)