Using Ocular engine in educational commercial software?

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Wed Apr 14 09:55:32 BST 2021

Hi Energo,

>> So I want to use Ocular engine. This brings to me few questions:
>> 1. Is this possible in theory?
>
> Your 2 sentence description is very vague, so maybe? don't know? no idea, and to be honest, don't really care.

that's a bit harsh.  What Okular can do for you is show various file formats
like pdf, ps, dvi, etc., in a resolution of your choice.  If that is what
you need, then "yes, this is possible in theory".

>> 2. Is it possible for commercial project?
>
> Okular core is GPL2+, if you use okular you need to abide to that license, if by "commercial" you mean you don't want to release the source code
under a GPL2+ compatible license, no, it's not possible.

Using it for a commercial project is no problem, but you will need
to publish your source code under an open source license.
Please read about the GPL2+ license for the details.

Build it yourself: https://okular.kde.org/build-it/

>> 4. Where is the best source of developer information?
>> 5. Can I expect that KDE Ocular libs will be works (at least in theory)
>> on WinDos, MacOS, Tablets (with Android and IOS)?

It works well on Linux and Windows.  I think there is a MacOS port but
no Android or IOS ports, but I may be wrong about that.

>> Please don't mid that I am greedy. I am aware that good things will be

Don't feel bad about this -- we all have to eat.

Best,
Oliver