D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Simone Gaiarin simgunz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:44:31 BST 2019

Sorry for the long silence. I have been busy at work and then on vacation.

Personally I do not like the idea of the vertical toolbar specifically for
Okular for the following reasons:
- Okular differently from Gwenview already has a tab bar, which means that
further splitting the reviews tab into two pieces add another nesting
level.
- Splitting the Review tab horizontally with the toolbar on top and the
reviews below seems quite cluttered to me. Also that review tab could be
improved (see T8553) and may require all the vertical space (e.g. show the
full text of the notes, allow to reply, etc. See Foxit for example).
-  It is not possible to build the toolbar with KXMLGUI as it is now, but
needs to be built programmatically (I think). The Gwenview toolbar is not a
standard toolbar, indeed it cannot be edited or moved.

The reasons for which I prefer to make the annotation toolbar a standard
toolbar displaying only the icons are:
- Many other programs have similar icon-only toolbars (e.g. libreoffice,
and also other PDF viewers e.g. MacOS viewer and Adobe reader). For the
annotation toolbar I would conform with the other PDF viewers.
- The icon buttons have tooltips and likely the users will quickly learn
them
- The toolbar is standard and can be customized by the user.