D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Simone Gaiarin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 18 17:45:18 BST 2019

simgunz added a comment.

  Sorry for the long silence. I have been busy at work and then on vacation.

  Personally I do not like the idea of the vertical toolbar specifically for
  Okular for the following reasons:

  - Okular differently from Gwenview already has a tab bar, which means that

  further splitting the reviews tab into two pieces add another nesting
  level.

  - Splitting the Review tab horizontally with the toolbar on top and the

  reviews below seems quite cluttered to me. Also that review tab could be
  improved (see T8553 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8553>) and may require all the vertical space (e.g. show the
  full text of the notes, allow to reply, etc. See Foxit for example).

  - It is not possible to build the toolbar with KXMLGUI as it is now, but

  needs to be built programmatically (I think). The Gwenview toolbar is not a
  standard toolbar, indeed it cannot be edited or moved.

  The reasons for which I prefer to make the annotation toolbar a standard
  toolbar displaying only the icons are:

  - Many other programs have similar icon-only toolbars (e.g. libreoffice,

  and also other PDF viewers e.g. MacOS viewer and Adobe reader). For the
  annotation toolbar I would conform with the other PDF viewers.

  - The icon buttons have tooltips and likely the users will quickly learn

  them

  - The toolbar is standard and can be customized by the user.