D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 22 19:53:26 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  This is super fantastic.

  I have a few more observations from use:

  - When using one of the quick annotations, the Quick Annotations button should have a checked state so you can tell that one of its tools is active (otherwise the previously-active toolbar button still looks checked despite not being active)
  - Maybe add a new menu item at the bottom of the Quick Annotations menu saying "Show all" that will open the full toolbar
  - The menu item that says, "Configure annotations..." should probably say "Configure quick annotations..." since it applies to the annotations in the quick annotations list, not all annotations more generally. Or even just "Configure..."
  - I would add text to the Keep the active annotation button active after use toolbutton, since otherwise it's a bit hard to tell what it does. Maybe "Keep active" or "Keep active after use" (maybe that's too long)?
  - Maybe don't have the Keep Active button checked by default. In testing, it feels more natural to have to click on an annotation's button after each use.
  - When an existing annotation is selected, it would be really nice if the controls for choosing the color, line thickness, opacity, font details etc. became active again and allowed you to change that annotation's appearance after the fact. You can already edit it by right-clicking and going to Properties, but it would be even nicer to be able to do this in a more direct manner IMO
  - It would be nice if highlight, underline, squiggle, and strikethrough annotations were mouse-selectable while the annotations toolbar is open. That way it would be more obvious how to delete them, and you could change their properties using the above method
  - It might be nice if hitting the [9] key multiple times cycled through the items in the shape annotation menu
  - The [0] key could do the same for the stamp annotation
  - Now that we have a way to add stamp annotations using this new method, we need to show the message that stamp annotations are an experimental feature so that users know that they can't necessarily rely on it. Currently they only see this in the annotation settings window

  Overall this is feeling really good and I think it's quite close to being ready for prime time.