Editing features

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue Mar 26 10:58:56 GMT 2019

26 березня 2019, 11:18:01, від "Oliver Sander" <oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de>:

> Dear Okular developers,
>
> at my day job I get asked about certain (pdf) editing features in Okular.
> Specifically, people would like to be able to delete and reorder pages,
> merge two documents, etc.
>
> In the past, such editing features have been contentious, with people
> wishing Okular to remain a pure viewer.  Is that still so?  What would
> happen if somebody sent patches or funding for the features mentioned
> above?  Would they be accepted?
>
> My own take on the editor debate is:
> * (some) editor features would make a lot of people happy
> * I see no harm in adding them to Okular (basically the only GUI additions
>   would be some extra entries in the context menu of page thumbnails)
> * A separate competitive pdf editing application is nowhere in sight,
>   and given the scarce developer resources that even Okular receives,
>   I don't see it coming anytime soon.
>
> Thanks for sharing your opinion,
> Oliver

Hi,

I prefer the PDF Arranger approach to the above-mentioned features (a big thumbnail grid with rearranging capabilities). I think that the current Okular sidebar will not be such a convenient thing.

On the other hand, applications that can do all the range of things in some definite field were always my favorites in KDE.

Just my 2 cents as a documentation writer and occasional patch submitter.

Best regards,
Yuri