Editing features

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Tue Mar 26 09:17:48 GMT 2019

Dear Okular developers,

at my day job I get asked about certain (pdf) editing features in Okular.
Specifically, people would like to be able to delete and reorder pages,
merge two documents, etc.

In the past, such editing features have been contentious, with people
wishing Okular to remain a pure viewer.  Is that still so?  What would
happen if somebody sent patches or funding for the features mentioned
above?  Would they be accepted?

My own take on the editor debate is:
* (some) editor features would make a lot of people happy
* I see no harm in adding them to Okular (basically the only GUI additions
  would be some extra entries in the context menu of page thumbnails)
* A separate competitive pdf editing application is nowhere in sight,
  and given the scarce developer resources that even Okular receives,
  I don't see it coming anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing your opinion,
Oliver