Window placement

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue Dec 3 11:25:45 GMT 2019

3 грудня 2019, 12:54:09, від "Seb" <seb at h-k.fr>:

> Hi Yuri,
>

> >> There is one simple thing that I couldn't find in the docs: is it
> >> possible to tell Okular to open with a certain geometry (width, height,
> >> x- and y-placement)? Usually this is set via a --geometry option, but
> >> Okular does not recognize it. Perhaps there is another way?
> >
> > This does not work because Okular restores the last window size. You can
> > just change its settings through ~/.config/okularrc ([MainWindow]
> > section) before the start.
>
> Thanks!
>
> It solves the dimensions question.
>
> The more important one for me is placement (specifically, start at +0+0).
> This information does not appear in ~/.config/okularrc alas.
>
> > There is the Window Rules module for Plasma to override these settings
> > https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/windowspecific/
> > index.html
>
> I do not use the KDE desktop.
> But following this idea I made fvwm open Okular at +0+0.

There are other tools to change window geometry for this environment. You can try xdotool with windowmove option or wmctrl.

Some hints:

https://hackaday.com/2017/09/21/linux-fu-x-command/

> Perhaps it would be worthwhile to add a --geometry option some day?

I'm not so sure. The window placement is the window manager task after all. It would be unfair from a separate application to interfere. But patches are welcome as always. ;)

Best regards,
Yuri