[Nepomuk] Nepomuk facets

Alessandro Sivieri alessandro.sivieri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:52:08 CEST 2010

2010/6/21 Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org>

> The idea is that one restriction is one facet and those can be put in
> groups. A group can be exclusive (for dates or types) or not (tags for
> example). The a group can also have a range type which can be used by
> the gui to create a range selection based on that type.

The introduction of a range is interesting; are you sure you are not
confusing the concept of "facet" with "term" (not Query::Term)? I mean, your
idea of facet+group looks like the current idea of term+facet... I mean,
currently facets can be exclusive or not, and terms are a single choice for
each facet (for example a tag, or a temporal period, or a document type).

> These groups could then be added to a model (the only reason for using a
> model is that it can easily be displayed in a treeview - might be
> overkill) which in turn could be filtered by a custom
> QSortProxyFilterModel which hides all facets that do not change the
> result (i.e. could of 0 or the same as the result set).

Which is currently what I am already doing in the tags facet (with its list
model and filter); the only thing that gives me some doubts, in your idea,
is why should I put every group in a single model: each facet should, IMHO
of course, have its visual representation, separated from the others... or,
at least, I cannot imagine a single UI element with more than one facet :)

--
Sivieri Alessandro
alessandro.sivieri at gmail.com
http://www.chimera-bellerofonte.eu/