Search in Files: Ctrl + Enter / Click should open new search tab

Kåre Särs kare.sars at mailbox.org
Mon Feb 12 08:33:45 GMT 2024

Hi,

On Monday, February 12, 2024 9:57:53 AM EET Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Moin!
>
> The Search in Files plugin has the feature to open a new tab by clicking on
> a dedicated "Add new search tab" tool button. This works, but the workflow
> is a bit inconvenient.
>
> It just came to my mind that an easy solution would be: When CTRL+clicking
> the "Search" button, we could open a new tab automatically (copying the
> current search options). The Ctrl+click (or Ctrl+Enter) workflow is also
> used e.g. in Browsers to open a link in a new tab.
>
> It would be a small but convenient change.
>
> Any takes? :-)
>
> Maybe we could add this as todo in a "Kate in 2024" gitlab issue? :-)

That could be a nice new way to open a new tab... There is also the (not-
assigned) shortcut to open the search in a new tab, but if you already have
entered the search string when you decide that you want a new tab, it can be
annoying. It opens the new tab with the selected word in the editor and that
is probably not what you had in mind if you already had edited the search
string.

So sounds like a good addition! The only problem I see is that it would be a
bit hard to find if you don't know it.... How would we make people aware of the
possibility?

Br,
  Kåre