[Ktechlab-devel] About code branches in repositories

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:53:23 UTC 2016

> For the future, I would like to continue developing on the kde/*
> branches (as content), but not necessarily with the same names, or
> with kde/ prefixes. As a long-term solution, I would like to have the
> following branches:
>
> * master ==~ from kde/port-0.3.8-kde4-v1
> * master-0.4 == kde/master-0.4
> * master-0.3 == kde/master-0.3
> ... other branches/tags without kde/ prefix
>
> I do not want to cause breakage for the people who might be pulling
> ktechlab from github, so now I'm asking opinions, about what and how
> should be done.
>
> I don't know how antisocial is to (1) rename public branches, and (2)
> have the same branch with different content later on. I assume that
> (2) can annoy a lot of people.
>

> I think that one step would be to move every branch from github to
> some prefix, like pre-kde/* .
>
> Next, the kde/* branches could be copied out from the kde/* prefix,
> but I think it would be useful to have a little different names than
> the original ones, just to signal people that some significant changes
> have been performed.

Currently, my idea is for proceeding if the following:

1. create branches with final branch names in the KDE git repository
2. place a message on the website (github wiki) that KTechLab is
joining KDE, main repository is moving
3. clean-up merged feature branches on github
4. push an update to the "old" branches on github with the
instructions for using the KDE git
5. rename "old" branches with some prefix, like "pre-kde/"
6. force-push the final branches with final contents to github

What do you think about this approach? Any feedback is welcome.

Have fun,

   Zoltan