[Ktechlab-devel] Anyone ever notice this? =P

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 14 04:55:25 UTC 2009

Anyone ever notice how absolutely ginormous ktechlab's binary size is?

unstripped:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 atg tty 51,783,635 Oct 13 14:38 ktechlab

(because linux is not half as good as a late version of DOS, I had to
manually add the comas for readability...)

stripped:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 atg tty  4,182,148 Oct 14 00:42 ktechlab-strip

which is almost reasonable...

This is one of the main reasons I've spent so much effort trying to
crush as much complexity out of the program as possible. =\

One of the biggest contributors is probably that we're carrying around a
hefty chunk of qt cuz we need a customized canvas implementation...

Ideally, this would be a separately maintained library that would be
outside of the ktechlab binary...

The other major factor is that we are maintaining, internally, a large
parts library which should be externalized (for the most part), as a
database.

By way of comparison, kdevelop3's main binary is:

atg at leenooks /usr/kde/3.5/bin $ ls -l kdevelop
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 425761 Sep 28 02:59 kdevelop
***UNSTRIPPED!!!***

Seamonkey web browser?

atg at leenooks /usr/lib/seamonkey $ ls -l seamonkey-bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 723289 Sep 25 23:57 seamonkey-bin
(again, unstripped)

I'm sure you can find many other applications to weigh ktechlab
against... The moral of the story is that we have a problem. (which I
knew about years ago...)

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.