[Ktechlab-devel] SimpleComponent ?

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Tue May 26 16:44:19 UTC 2009

P Zoltan wrote:
>    Hello people,
>
>   I've seen a new class, called SimpleComponent in the source code. What is
> its purpuse? Creating predefined component structures shouldn't imply yet
> another layer of abstraction. I think it would be better to add the
> convenience functions directly to the Component, maybe by different
> constructors.

I extracted everything in SimpleComponent *from* component. If you look
at the class inheritance heirarchy, you'll see why. It adds several
arrays that are only partially used by some components.

The same goes for DipComponent and DSubCon, both were extracted and
separated from Component. =)

I feel that this new layer of complexity is helpful because Component
formerly had many dozens of direct descendants, obviously many of these
were using only a subset of the functionality in Component. By breaking
it up, it becomes clearer which classes will be affected by which changes.

>   In the long term in my opinion it would be useful to separate the gui
>  from the non-gui, such that there would exist a well-defined interface
> between these two. This way, the gui could be easily thanged from QT3 to
> QT4, with keeping most part of the simulator.

Yes, that would be even better.

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.