[Ktechlab-devel] profiling is adictive.

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 18 02:45:56 UTC 2009

Take my advice, don't get started on profiling and optimization unless
you have several days worth of time to waste. =P

The biggest CPU sucker in ktechlab is the linear algebra engine. The
reason it gets called so much is that non-linear things such as
transistors need to iterate in order to converge on their instantaneous
DC conditions... I found several ways to reduce the number of times
QMatrix[] is called... GCC doesn't seem to be inlining it, that could
also be a fairly substantial boost. The biggest gain was to convert a
copy (double) loop into a memcpy, that was a very substantial gain!

The most obvious way to get even more out of it is to convert to use
liboil... =P

I don't think that's appropriate at this juncture...

I fixed a few memory leaks too but a substantial number of trivial leaks
remain, (I added comments in the code to point them out...)

I would like to set up a design meeting sometime next week where people
can argue over what direction the KDE4 port should go... (even though
kde4 looks like the biggest regression in open source history...)

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.