[Ktechlab-devel] What do you think of an open call to devs?

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 12 01:49:59 UTC 2009

Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> I've been thinking that maybe, a good way to obtain some extra hands
> for the project would be with an open call for developers which could
> be carried out on the kde-devel mailing list.

What and have the developers who turned KDE4 into an unusable pile of
bloat unleash their wrath on our nice little project?

I'm not against the idea but watching my swap file fill up after
installing 3 gb of ram on my 32-bit computer has sent me on an emergency
shopping trip for a new window manager. Today I'm using enlightenment
and it seems quite reasonable.

=(

I had heard such great things about KDE4, and thought that the much
needed technology upgrade was going to be a good thing... But it turns
out that they had gone far beyond a simple technology bump and had out
done Microsoft in terms of stupid features and shameless bloat. Its as
if they thought it was actually worth all my CPU cycles and all my
memory to index the 60,000 files that have crufted up in my home
directory over the many long years.

I'm sorry but I'm pissed...

I still support updating Ktechlab to KDE4/QT4 in principle, we need to
stay compatible with the upstream libraries and technologies. At the
same time we can't ignore our primary mission which is to provide
useful, efficient, and well written software. KDE3 was really really
kick-ass. It was fairly lean, and its software set the standard in
usability on the unix platform. I have no idea how they could have gone
so wrong. =(

I can only hope that now KDE4 is out the door and is starting to be
widely deployed, these problems will start affecting more people and
things will improve back to what we're accustomed to.

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.