[Ktechlab-devel] Porting to Qt 4 --> I'd like to help

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Wed Feb 11 21:35:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 20:00:42 Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
> I'd like to also say that I'm as well in favor of a redesign or
> rewrite of the code wherever it is necessary, and the reason why I
> didn't started such a task myself is because, how I stated on my first
> e-mail, I'm only in the first learning stage. I actually started
> learning C++ just on mid-December and it is not that I already have
> programming experience with others languages, because I already tried
> Python for example, but couldn't find it interesting (I'm really
> liking C++ though), so I still have ahead of me tasks as, besides
> learning the language, also learning the use of the Qt libraries,
> learn good programming style, design and debugging skills, learn how
> to use CMake, KDevelop and Designer. Of course the list goes on but
> I'll leave it there so I don't panic. =P
Quite a huge list ;)

> Bottom line is, that IMO, I won't be able to contribute any actual
> useful code for at least a couple of months. So, by this means I'd
> like to ask you to please don't save words when describing the work
> you're doing. =)
I learned a lot from discussions on mailing-lists. So keep on reading.. ;)
Another thing I can recommend is reading developer blogs. planetkde.org is
quite good for reading about interesting stuff going on in Qt and KDE world.

> I'd like to tell you as well to please don't hesitate to throw at me
> any "homework" you might think can be useful for my learning process,
> as well as for the project. I'll be also following the bugs to learn
> from them.
Fixing smaller issues is a good way to get into the code. And be sure, there
will be so called "junior-jobs" for you, to get in. If you have some special
ideas about what to do, tell them and I can keep my eyes and may be find
something for you.

> This doesn't mean at all that I'll be going mute, I'll keep helping on
> what's at my reach, like with the site and ideas that I might have.
> But I wanted to let you know why I haven't said anything else about
> this, mostly because I don't want anybody to interpret this as a lack
> of interest on my side.
Fine! Feedback, testing, discussing ideas... That's the way most of us
start...

bye
julian