[Ktechlab-devel] KTechLab Project Shutdown

Jason Lucas jason.lucas7 at ntlworld.com
Wed May 21 02:54:59 UTC 2008

Well, thanks for the input Guys. It's the busiest time the list has seen
for a while! One thing that is most apparent is that we would all like
to keen the project alive, but none of us have the time to do it. I'm
surprised that there has been very little activity from the vast student
population that uses OSS. Surely in this day and age, active involvement
in an OSS project should be paramount in a degree student's portfolio.
We have in the past been contacted by various educational establishments
regarding the status of the project (check the list), yet none of them
have actually bothered to to encourage their students to participate in
OSS projects.
We need to change the attitude of some of these educational
establishments: to view participation in an OSS project as an integral
part of the educational (and indeed the qualification) process.
I hope that this will actually happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

On a personal note, I've found that on the verge of my 40th birthday, my
wide ranging and extensive experience in IT is no longer valued, (try
getting a job interview for an IT job at my age & you'll understand).
So I'm now forced to re-skill, and to try my hand at another career.
I've chosen Horticulture and Garden Design, It's a difficult change, but
It least I'm spending much more time out in the open air & enjoying the
outside life more than I ever done before.

As for KTechLab, If you want the project to continue, I'd suggest that
you select (by whatever means) a new project administrator (I'll help
handle the project hand-over once that's decided) and recruit as many
coders as you can (easier said than done, believe me.)
I'd like to thank those that have offered to donate money to the
project, however we really need coders, not money. (Unless anyone offers
to pay our coders;)

Finally, I'd like to thank all of you that contributed to the project,
and continue to do so. (Alan, Chitlesh, John et. al.)

All the best, as I bow out of IT.

Jason