[Ktechlab-devel] packaging

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Wed Dec 10 15:27:11 UTC 2008

Hi,
another thing I got is concerning packaging in the future.

I got an account on novells buildservice and I think I will play around with
it, when the KDE4 branch gets a bit more in shape, which could happen soon. I
got 2 more things on my list, before I'll push everything I did so far into an
svn branch.

Some words about the buildservice. If the build-system of some project is well
maintained and in a good shape, many packaging problems can be automated. The
openSUSE buildservice does exactly this. It can create packages for all major
Linux distributions. I will have a look of how good everything works with it
and consider this as a possibility to reduce the work needed to get packages
for most users. It's also easy to provide unstable packages with it. Novells
compile-cluster is used to compile everything and produce the packages based
on scripts. This can be done nightly or in regular steps.

I also remember Chitlesh GOORAH (that's the name mentioned in his mails to
this list) and that he does packaging stuff for fedora. As far as I remember
fedora has something similar to openSUSEs buildservice. But we should address
that topic later.

that's for this topic.

bye then
julian