[Ktechlab-devel] Need small stuff

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 9 19:26:43 UTC 2008

Şadi Çağatay Öztürk wrote:
> Hi,

> Are there anything small to be done in the code? Could you assign stuff
> like that to me (and to others that want to learn) so I can learn faster?

I did post some such mini projects to the list some months ago.

What I want done right now, while I'm waiting for clear guidance on what
changes will be coming with the QT4 port, is to do "peephole" tweeks on
the code. These are not large or difficult changes. Take a header and a
source file and see if they meet good design criteria.

Does the header contain exactly once class?  (if not, split the header
and source file... kinda tricky dealing with the build system though...)

Is the file in the right directory? IE, if it's a flowpart class, it
should be in flowparts...

Are parameters declared const where appropriate?

Are there any unused or redundant methods?

Are there any unused or redundant member variables?
Example: the signal generator had it's own clock, though time was also
being keept by the simulator proper. Therefore I removed the clock from
the signal generator and tweaked a few interfaces so that it was locked
to the simulation clock.

Are all methods and variables declared with the tightest possible scope
(ie private instead of protected, or protected instead of public.).

The code tends to be a bit loose with pointers, I'd rather give each
component an index to a master table instead of having pointers all over
the place. I wrote a patch to do that, It might be in one of the
branches archives.

Any other minor improvement to readability or bugfixes which don't
really change anything substantive. Comments/TODOs and FIXMEs always
appreciated. =)

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.