[Ktechlab-devel] simple project. 2,3

Jason Lucas jason.lucas7 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 21 02:47:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 19:53 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
> > Done and added to repository.
>
> ;)
>
> Okay,
>
> here's the next one.
> 2:
>
> the matrix display driver is rather poorly designed, it uses hard-coded
> data tables... (who ever thought of putting data in code anyway, sheesh!)
>
> Interestingly, it implements a Japanese font (including roughly 32
> katakana and kanji symbols).
>
> This is well and good but it would be better to have a PC-ASCII/Codepage
> 437 font and the ability to switch between the two...
>
> the fonts are implemented as bitmaps.
Not a priority, but I'll take a look at some point.

> A more complex task is to develop a simple but powerful font editor.
>
> Okay, maybe that isn't so simple...
A font editor? Surely you mean a font selector dialog. Plenty of other
tools around for font editing and designing.

> 3:
>
> The existing codebase actually contains several redundant definitions of
> Pi. Look at your platform's copy of math.h ( typically in /usr/include
> ), and then grep the code for the first few digits of each of those
> constants. Sometimes these constants are used in very stereotypical ways
> eg 1/sqrt(2). or 2*pi, these are defined in math.h too. Replace each
> occourance with a reference to the math.h constant, ie all definitions
> of PI should be removed, and all refferences to it should be replaced
> with M_PI (or variant thereof).
>
> Other custom constants, which aren't a part of the standard yet, such as
> DPR, are defined at multiple locations. Remove all redundant definitions
> and make sure all source refers to the single constant. There shouldn't
> be redundant definitions anywhere. (long term project)
Agreed. A tedious task, but it needs doing.

Here's one for you:

In the current svn version, it is on longer possible to change the
input/output status of the pins of a PIC in the flowcoder view using a
mouse click on the PIC pins. I think that this will be a big issue for
first time users of our project and needs to be fixed for the 0.3.7
release.

Finally,

Could you recommend some websites/books on Modified Nodal Analysis
techniques? I really need to get to grips with the core thinking around
this project.

Jason.

(Electrical/Electronics Engineer/Archaeologist - Retired)