[Ktechlab-devel] Domain

David Saxton david_saxton_2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 20:49:22 UTC 2007

Well, I've spent quite a lot of time developing
KTechlab. It started off partially because I was
bored, and was looking for a way of learning C++
(which explains some of the bad code, although I think
you are a bit too touchy over style issues
occasionally, Alain ;) ). But then developing it
became quite fun, so I continued to dedicate a lot of
my free time to it for a few years. Now, though, it's
time for me to move on. I've got other more important
things, such as finishing off my maths degree.

If you're going to continue developing it, you'll
probably want to port it to Qt 4. This is quite a big
task, but it would also be a very good way of getting
to know the code better. I'd recommend getting rid of
the mess of code that handles displaying circuits and
flowcode, with its failed experiment in C++
inheritance, and start again with a QGraphicsView
based approach with a single class for displaying the
view (instead of the multitude of icndocument,
circuitdocument, flowcodedocument, etc etc).

The ktechlab-dist file posted on this list a few days
ago appears to be a slightly modfied version of
ktechlab 0.3, not the latest version from trunk. The
latter has had a lot of work on it, such as simulation
support for mosfets and jfets, loads of new components
and some initial work on predefined component models.
However, I've no where to upload / email this to - any
offers? (it's 2.6M in size).

David