[Ktechlab-devel] Some brainstorming...

Thomas Winkel mail at thomas-winkel.de
Wed Jan 18 12:52:59 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch 18 Januar 2006 01:21 schrieb David Saxton:

> * For links to other objects, how about "ktechlab-help" for a protocol? So
> a link to the context help for another item would look like
> "ktechlab-help://ec/resistor" ("ec/resistor" is the id for the Resistor
> component; this method would need a method for exposing ktechlab's internal
> IDs for components). To create a help page for a "Übertragungsfunktion",
> for example, you'd make a link to "ktechlab-help://transfer-function", and
> clicking on the link would bring you to a blank page that you could edit.
Using the same key-word for every language is a very good idea, thus KTechlab
can handle the languages very easy. What about showing the language-selector
allways? There could be a function to show the English article automatically,
if its not translated to users default language.

> * External pages; Hmm...the trouble with links to external pages is that
> the link will end up dead if the location of the page changes, etc. Are the
> pages you plan on linking to quite permanent?
I want to be very sparing with external links. At present I have only one to
www.datasheetarchive.com in the description of "datasheet". Other candidates
are official doc pages of manufacturers like microchip. I'm not planning to
link to rag, tag and bobtails electronic homepage ;)

> Good point. I've made the default arrow half-head angle 20 degrees, and
> made it configurable.
Thanks, looks nice now

> (The other option would be to cache the text formula after creation, but
> then this makes the font size, etc., used in the image different to the
> help text for most users, and also adds the issue of how (or if) to store
> the formula inside the context help for future editing).
You're right, thus rendered formulas should only be used detached for
importand things like Ohms law or objects transfer functions. This can be
done by the doc maintainers.

> But what would a draft look like? There doesn't seem to be much that you
> could put in a template - "External Links", etc? Good idea if needed,
> though.
Yes, I thought about it, there should only be a note like "Article has not
created yet, feel free to do it and send it to the list". The formatting then
can be done by the doc maintainers.

I'm planning a "Uses:" section for many devices. So for the opamp in my
screenshot there are links to all basic circuits. The user may want to see
them while wiring the circuit. Maybe a "sticky" checkbox would be a goo idea.