[Ktechlab-devel] Congrats, questions, and a bug

David Saxton david at bluehaze.org
Mon Jan 16 10:04:46 UTC 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 21:07, Darryl K wrote:
> First of all, congrats on putting together a very cool and very
> promising program.  Impressive work so far.
>
> My question is, any thoughts on future PCB layout capabilities?
> You've got a good start on a schematic layout editor, so you're a good
> part of the way to a full blown board design tool.  I had in mind
> something like Kicad (http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/).

Writing a PCB layout tool would be a lot of work; and there are already plenty
of decent tools. If PCB support is implemented in the near future, it will
likely be as the ability to export to PCB-layout programs.

> Finally, here's a bug report.  If you drop a part on the board and
> then move it off the canvas to the right or the bottom, the canvas
> expands to accommodate the extra area appropriately.  But if you drag
> it off the canvas to the top or the left, it does not.  And once
> you've dropped it off the edge of the board, you can't get it back
> unless you Undo.

Thanks. At the moment, there's not much that can be done to fix this in an
elegant way - expanding the canvas on the bottom and on the right just
involves increasing the size of the canvas, but due to the limitations of the
underlying widget (QCanvas), expanding the top and left sides involves moving
all the items on the canvas to the right and down as well as increasing the
size of the canvas.. QCanvas is likely to be replaced in the future, so this
bug will have to wait to then to be fixed (when it can be fixed elegantly by
allowing the canvas to have a negative top-left position).

David Saxton