[Ktechlab-devel] The pics are missing in the components list.

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Fri Dec 29 11:53:25 UTC 2006

According to the web archives, fifafrazer said:

> The pics are missing in the components list.
> From: <fifafrazer at gm...> - 2006-12-17 09:14>
>
> I have a problem with ktechlab. I'm using xubuntu 6.10. I've installed
> ktechlab with apt-get, and gpsim is also installed. I can program the pics
> in flowcode, but when i change to the .circuit view, there are no pics in
> the components list. What could possibly be wrong?

I'm seeing the same thing with Ubuntu Edgy.  I think the problem relates
to the version of gpsim being too old.  I see the ktechlab website has
packages for ubuntu Breezy, but not yet for Edgy.  I'm having trouble
finding it again, but I did see a page which suggested that newer .deb's
have been made for Feisty, but as yet, I don't know of any packages
available for edgy.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the package files to produce an
updated .deb.  So far I haven't managed to get gpsim to compile on
Ubuntu Edgy at all.

I'm really hoping there's someone else out there who could produce a
package file for Edgy, but in the meantime help with the process of
compiling from source would be most helpful.

There's instructions in the INSTALL file in the gpsim source
distribution which supposedly enable the reader to install without root
permissions.  ie outside of the main system directories, which seems
like a good idea.

The first step is to install gtk+extra version 2.0, wheras the default
version on Edgy is 0.99.  Configuration and compilation proceed without
error, but the gtkextra-config binary doesn't get created or installed.

The instructions then go on to talk about installing exdbm, but with an
eXdbm directory inside the gpsim directory, I suspect it may now be
distributed as part of gpsim?  or is that just interface code?

I'm not clear on whether ktechlab uses the gui part of gpsim.  I had a
go at compiling gpsim with the --disable-gui configure flag.  If the gui
stuff is needed, then it might not be much use, but in any case, it
fails also:

$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/src/gpsim-0.21.11'
Making all in cli
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/src/gpsim-0.21.11/cli'
if /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=compile --tag=CXX g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I. -I.. -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include     -g -O2 -MT
parse.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/parse.Tpo" -c -o parse.lo parse.cc; \
        then mv -f ".deps/parse.Tpo" ".deps/parse.Plo"; else rm -f
".deps/parse.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/glib-1.2
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -g -O2 -MT parse.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/parse.Tpo
-c parse.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/parse.o
../src/../src/value.h:293: error: extra qualification 'Boolean::' on
member 'typeCheck'
../src/../src/value.h:356: error: extra qualification 'Integer::' on
member 'typeCheck'
../src/../src/value.h:357: error: extra qualification 'Integer::' on
member 'assertValid'
../src/../src/value.h:358: error: extra qualification 'Integer::' on
member 'assertValid'
../src/../src/value.h:501: error: extra qualification 'AbstractRange::'
on member 'typeCheck'
make[2]: *** [parse.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/src/gpsim-0.21.11/cli'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/src/gpsim-0.21.11'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any idea what that's about?

Andrew