Relative short maximum exposure in align module is limiting the use of KStars alignment

Patrick Molenaar pr_molenaar at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 10:28:47 GMT 2024

Hi,

A short while ago I was experimenting with my new OptoLong L-eXtreme filter in KStars. I had managed to setup my gear and wanted to get a deep sky object aligned in the center of my scope. However, due to the relative short maximum exposure of the align module the capture and solve functionality did not work.

I have a SkyWatcher 80ED (f/7.5) telescope and had my Canon 350D camera connected with an OptoLong L-eXtreme dualband filter attached. I tried to take a picture from a rural environment in the netherlands, during a full moon :-( The amount of light that reaced my sensor was very little, so I wanted to canck up the exposure time in the align module, but encountered a maximum of 60 seconds (I found that limit in the align.ui file in the KStars sources).

At an exposure of 60 seconds there were not enough stars to perform successfull platesolving. I know, a better camera (dedicated astro camera) would also solve this issue, but I wonder why the exposure was limited to only 60 seconds. This resulted in my new OptoLong L-eXtreme to be useless in combination with my camera an KStars. At least for alignment. I regred that as I am a huge fan of KStars.

I hope this setting can be increased. I think 10 minutes maximum exposure should be enough to not encounter any limitations with the simple equipment I got.

I hope this can be fixed. For now to be able to continue here at home, I will increase the limit myself in my own build. Then I will be able to use KStars again.

Kind regards,

Patrick Molenaar